Friday, May 16, 2014

TBI and loneliness.

Traumatic Brain Injuries don't just cause physical damage. The injury also has the potential to change the way survivors relate to people. After my injury, I experienced many "friends" fade away from my life. My personality had changed and we no longer shared the connection we had built over the years. I found myself feeling very alone and still struggle with this emotion. Feeling different from the majority of society can alienate an individual. Struggling to find the right words when trying to have a conversation with someone I find attractive is sometimes embarrassing and makes me wonder if I will ever feel confident and attractive. The TBI has also impacted my impulse control and I often say or do things that I regret. Having a safe place to discuss my reality is important and one of my motivations for creating this blog was to create such a space. In the video below I speak with Karen Keating from CarePartners TBI group about the importance of TBI support groups. This is just one short clip from a series of interviews I did with Karen. There will be more in the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment